voaww.org (Volunteers of America)
ugm.org (Union Gospel Mission)
jwcenter.org (Jubilee Women’s Center)
proceed with caution
Here are a few tips to ensure you’re dealing with reputable organizations. Proceed with utmost caution if an organization does any of the following:
- Refuses to provide detailed information about its identity, mission, costs, and how the donation will be used.
- Won’t provide proof that a contribution is tax deductible.
- Uses a name that closely resembles that of a better-known, reputable organization.
- Thanks you for a pledge you don’t remember making.
- Uses high-pressure tactics like trying to get you to donate immediately, without giving you time to think about it and do your research.
- Asks for donations in cash or asks you to wire money.
- Offers to send a courier or overnight delivery service to collect the donation immediately.
- Guarantees sweepstakes winnings in exchange for a contribution. By law, you never have to give a donation to be eligible to win a sweepstakes.