First impressions count!
Here are some tips for rolling out the welcome mat and creating eye-catching curb appeal without spending a fortune:
- Power-washing a cement driveway, walk and patio will
remove oil, rust and other stains. Repairing or sealing any
cracks in these same areas during the summer will help
with appearances and visitor safety and will also prevent
winter temperature changes from causing more damage.
- Clear the pathway to your front door by cutting back any
overgrown landscaping. Check for cobwebs and wipe down your front door and
kick plate. Consider painting your door if it’s looking faded/worn.
- Freshly planted pots or hanging baskets blooming with
color add an inviting feel.
- A new layer of mulch will immediately improve the look
of your yard. Well-maintained, clutter-free yards are
- Make your fence pop! A semitransparent stain evens out
signs of repairs and covers discoloration. Don’t forget
your deck, steps, rails, shed, etc.
- Add some path lighting that highlights the best plants in
your yard. Low-maintenance solar-powered options come
in many styles to match your home’s architecture. Clean
dust and dirt from porch and accent lights to ensure they
are shining at their brightest.
- Crystal clear windows are a strong indicator that the
house has been well cared for.
- Buy new house numbers to make your front entrance
more attractive and your home easier to find.
- Add a new mailbox and post. (Check with your
municipalities regulations first before installing to be sure
you’re up to code)
- Don’t forget your roof. Replace missing shingles, remove
leaves, debris and clean streaks that may be left over
from winter and spring.