Enjoy this seasonal favorite throughout the fall when you keep a few ingredients on hand.
- 1 cup milk, soy milk or almond milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar, or more to taste
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (plus extra for optional garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Espresso or strong black coffee
- Whipped cream and cinnamon stick (for optional garnish)
To make the pumpkin spice latte mix:
Combine 1/2 cup milk and the sugar, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla extract in a small saucepan over low heat. Whisk, and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup milk, whisking until combined.
Strain mixture through cheesecloth or fine-mesh sieve to remove pulp. Return milk mixture to saucepan and simmer until hot, whisking again for 2 minutes. Add desired amount of espresso or strong black coffee to the saucepan and whisk one last ·· time until foamy (1 minute or less).
Top with whipped cream sprinkled with pumpkin pie spice, and drop in a cinnamon stick (optional). The mixture (before adding the coffee) will keep in the fridge for two-three days.
Makes one latte.