This time of year sneaks up so fast… summer is here and then gone in a flash!
Use these helpful tips to get settled into a new routine for fall.
- Talk to your child about their feelings, expectations and concerns about the new school year.
- Talk to your child about their day-to-day routine once school starts.
- For small children, tour the school and show them where each of their classes will be, along with the cafeteria and restrooms.
- Determine how your child will get to school, and practice the route.
- Find a walking/bus buddy for younger children.
- Arrange a carpool if needed.
- Establish a time for homework and dinner.
- Provide your child with an alarm clock, and discuss the best time for which to set it.
- Establish a school-night bedtime, and stick to it.
- Read the school handbook with your child, and discuss any concerns.
- Find out the date for parent-teacher night, and enter it on your calendar.
- Find out the school lunch schedule and how you might want to supplement those meals.
- Create a contact list of other parents who are able to pick up your child in case of an emergency. Be sure to share it with the school.
- Arrange child care and/or after school activities.
- Set expectations for screen time limits (TV, phone, video games, tablets, etc.), playtime and the completion of long-term school projects.
- Stay involved with your child, their school and their daily routine!